J. Richard Winter Scholarship
The J. Richard Winter Scholarship recognizes the thirty years of service of Reverend J. Richard Winter to his church and community.
Graduating seniors of any Fauquier County Public High School are invited to apply, as are Warrenton Presbyterian Church members, members’ children, or grandchildren.
A $2500 per year renewable scholarship will be awarded to assist with expenses of education beyond high school.
Renewal GPA requirements:
- Freshman 2.5
- Sophomore 2.7
- Junior 3.0
Grades must be verified by the institution’s registrar’s office.
The award will be used only for classes at an institution of higher learning and not for workshops or camps.
Selection Criteria at-a-Glance:**
- Statement of intent to attend and acceptance letter from institution of higher learning
- Written evidence of scholastic excellence, service to church, community and school.
- Personal essay from student; stating career and education goals, why they believe they’re deserving of this award, and how this award will help in pursuit of their goals and objectives.
- Letter of recommendation from an unrelated party that vouches for the student’s qualities and character.
- In the event that the top three or more applicants considered appear equal in qualifications, preference will be given to a member* of the Warrenton Presbyterian Church.
- If no candidate meets the above criteria in a given year, the award may be held over until the following year or be granted to a former applicant already in college.
- The Committee will, if deemed necessary, personally contact applicants considered best qualified to arrange personal interviews.
*Member – member must be the applicant, the applicant’s parents, or the applicant’s grandparents.
** Please read the full details of selection criteria and submission rules on the J. Richard Winter Scholarship Application.**