Music @ WPC
Joyful Noise Choir – Ages 3 through first grade
Rehearsals are held in the Choir Room on Mondays from 5:30-6:00 p.m., Jeanette Walker, Director
Sonshine Choir – Grades 2-5
Rehearsals are held in the Choir Room on Mondays from 6:15-7:00 p.m., Jeanette Walker, Director
Rehearsals are held in the Sanctuary on Thursdays from 7:30-9:00 p.m., To Join, Come to a Rehearsal!
Diana Bennett, Interim Music Director
If you’d like to participate in the music program of the church (soloists or instrumentalists), please contact Diana Bennett, Interim Director.
Warrenton Presbyterian Church is currently searching for a dedicated director of music.
Please see the description below.
Warrenton Presbyterian Church (PCUSA)
Open Position: Director of Music (Salaried, Part-time: approx. 20 hrs/wk)
Warrenton Presbyterian Church (WPC) is a mid-sized (~450 member) church located in Warrenton,
Virginia. WPC has a rich history including a strong commitment to Christ-centered worship and a strong
music program. Over the years, the music program has encompassed a variety of groups – young
children, youth, women, mixed adults and handbells. WPC has recently added a group offering praise
style music for corporate worship. WPC also has members who share their musical gifts individually or
in smaller groups throughout the year.
Currently, WPC has two worship services each Sunday morning between September and June. The
WPC staff organist supports both worship services, and music for the later (11am) service is led by the
Sanctuary Choir who presents traditional SATB arranged anthems. Both services utilize the Glory to God
hymnal as well as modern hymns and choruses from other resources.
The Director of Music will have a mature and deep commitment to Christ and the music offered to
His glory. The Director of Music will have the necessary gifts and personality mix to successfully work
with the pastoral staff, church leadership, the Worship Committee and all musicians within the
congregation while ensuring that a shared vision for worship and music at WPC is fulfilled and that our
Lord is honored reverently and joyfully.
The Director of Music is a member of the Church Staff, so should be available to attend staff meetings
and coordinate all music activities with the rest of the church staff. The Director of Music reports to the
Session through the Personnel Committee and the Worship Committee and must attend all meetings of
the Worship Committee.
Salary and Hours: This is a salaried position for $20,000/yr. It is estimated that an average of 20
hrs/wk will be required to fulfill the job requirements. The number of hours will vary depending on the
time of year. Most of those hours will be during evenings and on Sunday.
Specific duties of this position include:
1. Coordinating rehearsal, performance, and leadership plans for all music groups with particular attention to the liturgical calendar.
2. Directing the Sanctuary Choir each Sunday and conducting weekly rehearsals.
3. Overseeing the other members of the music staff and volunteers.
4. Coordinating with the staff organist in planning music for all services.
5. Assisting and advising the Worship Leaders in hymn selection.
6. Ensuring all music groups are supported with supplies, music and other resources as needed.
7. Ensuring that music is provided to special services throughout the year in coordination with the pastoral staff and other WPC leadership. (Christmas Eve would be an example)
8. Managing the departmental budget working with WPC leadership to ensure proper funding.
9. Ordering all music, maintaining the WPC’s music library and ensuring copyright compliance.
10. Arranging for substitute choir conductor when absent or on leave.
11. Arranging for the tuning and maintenance of all pianos.
1. Experience in choral conducting, preferably for youths and adults with a range of abilities.
2. Proven success in a position coordinating several musical groups and collaborating with other musicians, venue leaders or staff.
3. Preference will be given to candidates with a degree in music although clear demonstration of abilities without formal education will be considered.
4. It is desirable that the candidate has the ability to play a keyboard instrument and is proficient vocally.
To apply: send resumes, including any supporting material, to warrentonpc(at)wpcva.org or Warrenton Presbyterian Church, P.O. Box 187, Warrenton, VA 20188.