Warrenton Presbyterian Church is a vibrant and welcoming congregation in the heart of Old Town Warrenton! Our church’s tagline is: “A Servant Community,” as we seek to follow our servant Lord, Jesus Christ. We are a proud member of the Presbyterian Church U.S.A. and the Shenandoah Presbytery. As a connectional church, we also seek to be in ministry and fellowship with other denominations and faith communities seeking to learn from one another as we serve Christ and neighbor.
What We Believe
Presbyterians are members of the Reformed Tradition of the Christian faith. At the core of Presbyterian identity is a secure hope in the grace of God in Jesus Christ, a hope that, by the power of the Holy Spirit, empowers us to live lives of gratitude: “In affirming with the earliest Christians that Jesus is Lord, the Church confesses that he is its hope and that the Church, as Christ’s body, is bound to his authority and thus free to live in the lively, joyous reality of the grace of God.” (Book of Order F-1.0204 and the Presbyterian Church U.S.A. website). A motto of the Reformed Tradition is that we are “the church reformed, always being reformed according to the Word of God.” This means that we are always seeking new ways to be faithful to our calling as Christ’s disciples in our own time and place.
We trust that in Baptism, God calls each of us–women and men, young and old and everyone in between–to service and leadership in Christ’s Church. We believe that worship is at the heart of our ministry at WPC as it gathers, equips, nourishes, and sends us out to be ambassadors of God’s love for us in Jesus Christ.
For more information about what Presbyterians believe, we invite you to go to this page on our denomination’s website.
Presbyterians began worshipping in Fauquier County as early as 1771 and were involved in the founding of the old Warren Academy as well as the town of Warrenton. Legend has it that when our former building was destroyed by a tornado, only the pulpit and Bible remained intact. We have worshipped in our current building since 1855, and in 1999, we added on our current sanctuary and fellowship hall. From 1771 to today, our congregation has remained one that sees itself as engaged with our town and the wider community—which is why we highly value being a Main Street congregation. (From “The Story of A Church: A History of the Warrenton Presbyterian Church” by Rev. J. Richard Winter, Pastor Emeritus)