The following is a list of historical markers
and happenings throughout the lifetime of our church. What’s hidden within the context of this chronology are the effects of the everlasting and sustaining grace of God in the lives of the thousands of people who have called this place home.
Christ’s work in our congregation’s story begins with those who walk through the doors for the first time looking for belonging, answers, and rescue. To God be the Glory!
1771 – Presence of Presbyterians in Fauquier County (German community).
c. 1780 – Rev. Hezekiah James Balch, a graduate of the College of New Jersey
(Princeton), organized at Fauquier Court-House the Warren Academy and was licensed by Donegal Presbytery to preach in Virginia and North Carolina.
1804 – Rev. William Williamson, a Scotsman, opened a school at Middleburg and preached in Fauquier County. In 1809, he organized the united congregation of Middleburg and Fauquier Court-House.
1813 – The “Brick Church” was erected on the south side of Main Street to serve both Presbyterian and Episcopalian congregations. The building was used by both denominations until 1849.
1827 – Winchester Presbytery organized members south of Bull Run into a separate congregation named the Presbyterian Church of Warrenton.
1849 – St. James Episcopal Church erected their building, and the Brick Church was destroyed by tornado.
1855 The present church site was purchased and a church building erected. The Warrenton congregation was combined with the Greenwich (Prince William County) congregation with one Session. The first minister was the Rev. John W. Pugh, who served until 1868.
1861-65 During the Civil War, the church building was occupied by Federal troops. Substantial damage was incurred.
1885 – Rev. Walter H. Robertson was installed. He served until 1903, at which time the reported membership of the church was 103.
1905 – Rev. William Chinn installed as pastor. A cement floor was laid in the assembly room, with a section for use as a Sunday School classroom.
1930s – Moeller pipe organ dedicated; Board of Deacons established; sanctuary repaired and redecorated; gas furnace installed; membership of 169.
1945 – The Church Manse at the corner of High and Liberty Streets was purchased for $17,500.
1953 – Educational Wing was constructed with classrooms, a pastor’s study, two small
offices, and rest rooms.
1962 – Small lot and house directly behind the church on Fourth Street purchased. The dwelling was renovated and used by Sunday School classes.
1972 – Potomac Presbytery of the Presbyterian Church, U.S. and Washington City Presbytery of the United Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A. united to form National Capital Union Presbytery.
1974 – Corner lot and building to the East on Main Street purchased. A Noack pipe organ was built at a cost of $29,000.
1978 – A second educational wing was added.
1987 – J. Richard Winter, pastor since 1951 and church historian, retired. William Orders retained as interim pastor.
1988 – Carl R. Schmahl installed as Pastor.
1999 – New Sanctuary and Fellowship Hall built.
2000 – Lucy Lindsay, DCE, hired; New Pipe Organ and Concert Grand Piano dedicated (Randall Dyer Pipe Organ – 19 ranks)
2003 – Carrie B. Evans installed as Associate Pastor
2005 – Sesquicentennial (150 years) Celebration of the History of WPC
2006 – Transfer to Shenandoah Presbytery
2007 – Purchased the Harris property on 4th Street
2009 – Opening of Warrenton Presbyterian School
2013 – Pastor Carl R. Schmahl retired after 25 years of service to WPC
2013 – Glory to God hymnal was dedicated.
2014 – Interim Pastor John I. Snyder hired
2015 – Interim Pastor Phil Sommer hired