Step 3 Update
June 23, 2020
Dear Saints of Warrenton Presbyterian Church,
Last night at our stated meeting, the session voted to move into Step 3 of the four-step WPC Phased Reopening plan. I wanted to share the highlights of what this means for the congregation.
- We will continue online worship for Sunday morning services during this time.
- We will begin holding a brief, weekly service of evening prayer Sundays at 6 pm (starting June 28th) in the outdoor worship area accessible from 4th St. and the Church playground. Individuals (or families) will need to maintain distance (at least 6 feet from those not in your household), handshakes/hugs are discouraged, there will be no congregational singing, and masks are required.
- Groups of less than 50 can return for meetings in the church building so long as they practice distancing measures (6 feet or more). This will allow (but not require) committees and other community groups to use our building again under proper guidelines.
- Any individual in church buildings will be required to wear a mask.
- High risk individuals (65 and over or with underlying conditions) should continue to shelter in place.
We will remain in this step of the process for at least the next few weeks before assessing if we are ready to move forward. In the meantime, our session has formed a small task force to begin making preparations for what in-person worship could look like in our building safely. I’m sure that many of you are wishing we can get back to worship soon (I do too), but unfortunately in-person worship continues to be listed as one of the riskiest activities for transmission of COVID-19, so we need to proceed cautiously. Our session and I truly appreciate your patience and support in this time. If you’d like to see the full reopening plan, please contact Mary in the church office. As always, if you have any questions or if I can be helpful, please feel free to contact me. Please know that our staff, session, and I are praying for you and miss you all—looking forward to when we can all be together again in person!
Rev. James Lunde
Pastor, Warrenton Presbyterian Church